Silver or amalgam fillings are common, and some amalgam fillings may need to be replaced eventually. There are many reasons amalgam fillings may need to be replaced. At The Foleck Center we specialize in general dentistry, and have years of experience using state of the art technology. We welcome you to contact us for all of your family’s dental needs, and experience quality and affordable dental care you can trust. We are the preferred dentist in downtown Hampton, VA and look forward to meeting you.
Can Fillings Crack Teeth Over Time?
Fillings generally do NOT crack teeth over time as long as they are placed properly by your dentist and the patient doesn’t have compromised oral health. However, teeth cracking as a result of fillings can occur in some instances.
This is known as a fractured cusp and occur due to tooth decay or trauma. As a result, fillings can exacerbate the risk if given the right circumstances. Thankfully, fractured cusps usually doesn’t affect the pulp of the tooth and as a result doesn’t cause much pain though should be corrected as soon as possible,
Why Would I Want to Replace My Fillings?
- Cracked Filling – Over time amalgam fillings tend to develop stress cracks in the surface. This can allow bacteria to enter the tooth. If patients grind their teeth at night, this can also cause your amalgam filling to crack.
- Crack in Your Tooth – In certain cases sometimes amalgam fillings put extra pressure on the tooth around the filling and cause the tooth to crack. This can allow bacteria to enter the tooth and cause cavities.
- Broken Tooth – Sometimes after years of having an amalgam filling the tooth breaks away. To correct this issue, we must remove the old filling to retore your tooth.
What Are My Replacement Options?
If your filling needs replacement there are a few options to choose from. Our team will choose the option that is best depending on the severity and condition of your tooth.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings – We can replace your silver-colored filling with a tooth-colored filling such as porcelain or composite.
- Inlays/Onlays – If more extensive work is needed for larger cracks, we may recommend a pre-molded filling or inlay/onlay to fit in or around your tooth.
- Crowns – Another option to correct large amounts of decay or cracks would be a crown. The crown will help to preserve the tooth, as well as restore the tooth.
Interested in Finding Out More About Dental Fillings in Downtown Hampton?
If you are interested in finding a dentist year you that handles cavities in downtown Hampton, The Foleck Center can help. We are the premier dentist in the downtown Hampton area, and serve patients of all ages. Our doctors work to provide quality and affordable care, and build a foundation of trust with all of our patients. Our state-of-the-art facilities give patients a comfortable and relaxing experience. The Foleck Center is constantly expanding on our education to bring our patients the latest technologies and products.
The Foleck Center has a wellness membership program for our patients. This program gives patients another financial option for dental services at any of our four locations. The wellness membership has different plans to choose from, and offers many discounts for services. Our plan is perfect for individuals, families, retirees, or anyone who does not have dental coverage. To find out more visit our wellness membership page on our website, or ask one of our team members for more information.
Our downtown Hampton office is conveniently located near Vancosta’s Pizza, making us a great choice for families in the area.
To schedule your appointment with us contact The Foleck Center, and our friendly staff will be happy to assist you!